SLECA reminds students, teachers and classroom personnel
to act safely when using electrical equipment during the
electric accidents SLECA recommends the following tips
for college students and for teachers returning to the
- Donít overload outlets.
This could cause a fuse to blow or a circuit breaker
to open. It could even cause a fire.
- Donít run extension cords
under rugs or rest furniture on them. Extension
cords are meant to be used sparingly, not on a
permanent basis. Make sure extension cords are
- Using surge suppressors
will offer protection from fluctuating voltage.
- Keep electrical appliances
such as hair dryers, irons and their cords away from
- When using a halogen lamp,
make sure that curtains and other items are not too
close. Some items can actually catch on fire because
of the hot temperatures from a halogen lamp.
- Make sure that all wiring,
cords and cables are away from traffic areas to
prevent people from tripping and falling.
- Use equipment in
accordance with the manufacturerís recommendations.
Never bypass electrical interlocks or disable safety
- Have any defective or
damaged wiring replaced or repaired before use.
- To prevent overheating,
itís essential to leave enough space around
electrical equipment and appliances, including
computers, printers and other equipment.